Pell grants for online students

The Pell grants is one of the most popular grants that help students with low incomes to go through their studies. Most people don’t know that it is available not only for campus studies but also for students that have been enrolled in online colleges or online universities.

Basically the process of application goes the same way as the application made by campus students. You need to fill up Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA). To be eligible for Pell grant you need to be American citizen, eligible non-citizen or permanent resident. Your online degree should be your first, if you already have professional or bachelor’s degree, you cannot apply for Pell grant. You have to demonstrate your financial need through the FASFA. You need also to present your GED or high school diploma. You need to present prove that you are pursuing admission or you are already enrolled in legitimately accredited online educational institution. You can’t be in prison or to have unpaid student loan.

It’s important to know if your university or college is accredited because only educational institutions which have been accredited by authorized agency can enroll in financial aid federal program. Check the school you have chosen in the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and the U.S. Department of Education, there you will find a list of accredited agencies. Check if the one that accredited your school is in it, if not, just quit the idea of studying in it. The best known agency for online education accreditation is the Distance Education and Training Council Accrediting Commission. It has been recognized for 30 years by the Department of Education.

You have two ways to fill your FASFA: online or through mail. As the papers for FASFA are available only on request you need to connect to the Federal Student Aid Center (1-800-4-FED-AID) or to download PDF document from the FASFA website: Keep in mind that FASFA documents filling is annual task as long as you are studying. Forgetting to present them will lead to your automatic leaving of the financial aid program.

To complete the FASFA you will need Social security number/ permanent resident card or alien registration card; bank statements; investment records and for the previous year – federal tax return; W-2 forms; parents’ or spouse’s federal tax return; untaxed incomes. FASFA application admissions start from January 1st.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments are closed.

By using this website you agree with our cookie policy